Chief Executive / CEO / Managing Director - Charity
Job Title: Chief Executive
Salary: Negotiable - Dependent on Experience
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
The organisation is the UK's Chartered body for the science and profession of occupational hygiene and a leading voice for worker health protection. They are an SME with over 20 staff, 1600 members and a £1.6M turnover. They are a Royal Charter Company and registered charity engaged at both national and international level; influencing policy, raising awareness, publishing research, supporting their members, and championing education and standards. They have a Faculty responsible for the maintenance of professional standards, which is also the only UK awarding body for occupational hygiene qualifications. The Society is engaged in delivering against its current strategic plan which includes plans to launch additional Faculties to increase its impact on the specialisms within occupational hygiene.
Following a period of significant growth and modernisation in recent years, the Society is seeking a new Chief Executive to provide leadership into the future.
The Chief Executive will be responsible for the successful leadership and management of the Society on behalf of the Board of Trustees. They will ensure a balance between leading operational management of operations and strategising for the future direction of the Society with a vision of creating 'A Healthy Working Environment for Everyone'. They will provide inspirational and intelligent leadership for the Society, acting and communicating on behalf of the Board with all internal and external stakeholders. They will also be tasked with growing and developing the Society as an attractive, relevant and respected global (UK) professional body.
This is an exciting role, which presents the opportunity to lead the Society into the next phase of its development and contribute to the overall success of BOHS. They will have integrity, energy, enthusiasm and good humour, which will ensure that they drive improvements and innovations within the boundaries of 'Worker Health Protection'.
- Ensure that the Trustees and Directors are provided with the necessary legal and administrative support to enable the organisation to function effectively.
- Develop and promote strategic plans and policies, identifying gaps, developing solutions and ensuring consistency over the long term, with input and agreement form the Board.
- Responsible for risk management of the Society, ensuring the appropriate procedures are in place, including informing the Board of significant/unmitigated risks.
- Co-ordinates and manages opportunities for representation and promotion of the organisation at events etc., liaising with the Board as appropriate.
- Liaise with relevant government departments (or their agents) and with other regulatory/advisory bodies such as the Health and Safety Executive.
- Prepare a five year business strategy, with KPIs and annual operating plans to allow the Society to achieve its strategic objectives contained within its current strategic plan.
- Exert overall financial control, through appropriate delegation of the organisation's finances, working alongside the Honorary Treasurer.
- Ensure operation within agreed budgets and delivery of income streams to budgeted surplus levels.
- Ensure that appropriate financial planning, budget and control mechanisms exist, which allow the organisation to demonstrate to all relevant bodies that it uses its funds effectively.
- Drive the development of the commercial business of the organisation and related products in line with the strategic aims of the society.
- Strengthen the organisation's service offerings, ensuring that they are appropriately priced and marketed in relation to the market place, customer value and the organisation's financial targets.
- A good first degree.
- A professional qualification or higher degree in business or financial management.
Skills and Abilities:
- First rate communication, persuasion and negotiation skills.
- Diplomatic skill and sensitivity in handling volunteers.
- Commercial mind-set, revenue focused and market aware.
- Empathy and self-awareness with the ability to understand sensitive circumstances.
Knowledge and experience:
- Several years' senior management experience, with a demonstrable record of achievement of financial planning, budget control, and commercial skills, preferably in a small to medium sized organisation.
- A record of leadership and motivational skills including good personnel management skills showing success in managing a motivated, skilled team of staff to achieve their goals over a substantial period.
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV, Cover Letter and Equal opportunities monitoring form for this role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Chief Executive, Chief Executive Officer, Chief Finance Officer, CEO, CFO, Managing Director, Environmental Sciences Director, Strategic Development Manager, Finance Director, Environment Sciences Manager, Director Environmental Sciences will also be considered for this role.